Negotiate successfully in international business
Put your negotiation tactics to the test.
Negotiations with international business partners require sensitivity and understanding for different communication and negotiation styles.
Prepare yourself professionally with help from one of our coaches for unexpected and unknown negotiation situations and learn to use a variety of negotiation tactics.
Respond competently to the expectations and the culturally influenced negotiation strategy of your counterpart and avoid intercultural misunderstandings or conflicts.
CultureWaves helps you to negotiate successful in an international context. We are looking forward to advising you and to tailoring the Negotiation Training to your needs!
What you can expect from our Negotiation Training
Is this situation familiar to you?
The negotiations were running well. Your business partners looked happy. But in the end, the deal did not come through. What happened and what could be the reason?
Anyone working in the international business sector quickly realises, that negotiations need and are influenced by both parties and that both parties are following different styles and strategies every time.
Especially when the negotiation partners come from different cultures and enter the negotiation with diverse expectations and tactics.
Managers spend about half of their time negotiating – with employees, executives, clients, suppliers or other stakeholders.
Meanwhile monocultural situations are decreasing while multicultural collaborations are on the rise in a globalised business world. Especially employees in sales and marketing are in need of international negotiating skills.
Participants in this training will…
- become aware of their own cultural background and behaviour
- reflect on and understand different cultural perspectives
- be able to understand the influencing methods and strategies of the counterpart and adapt to it
- be able to negotiate more effectively with colleagues, executives, clients and suppliers from other cultural backgrounds
- learn which competencies and attitudes are important to effectively negotiate in an intercultural context
- be able to recognise and avoid cultural misunderstandings, irritations and conflicts more easily
have alternative negotiation strategies for successful discussions with international business partners.
Negotiation Training – possible content
Understand the effect of your own communication and negotiating style
Self-perception and perception of others
- Self-perception and perception of others regarding values, attitudes and behaviours that culturally influence the negotiation and communication style
International comparison of communication styles
- Relationship / group orientation or factual orientation – what is your negotiation partner expecting?
- More or less information? In what form or structure?
- Cultural preferences
- Cross-culture negotiating principles
- The factor time in negotiations
- The importance of status and hierarchy: how to deal with obvious and hidden hierarchies in negotiations
- Negotiation and feedback situations with employees / co-workers
- Negotiate from a position of strength or weakness
- Influence – how can I best influence international business partners?
- Test different negotiation techniques
- Conflict management: Practical options for action / tips in conflict-affected negotiation situations with clients and suppliers from other cultures
- After the deal is before the deal? Culture-specific understanding of contracts, liability and renegotiations
Do you have specific needs or interests?
Depending on your needs and target group, we integrate your topic requests and training modules into the negotiation training and adapt the content to your current situation and company-specific challenges.
We are also happy to offer culture-specific negotiation training.
CultureWaves negotiation training – How, where and for whom?
- one-day or two-day training
- individual or group training
- face-to-face or virtual
- on-site or off-site
- Individual or group training for professionals and managers
We are looking forward to advising you and to tailoring the negotiation training to your needs!
Embracing diversity: the CultureWaves trainer team
The CultureWaves trainer team is made up of more than 100 qualified trainers and consultants with multiple years of international professional and training experience in various sectors and positions.
Based on our experts’ broad experience they will provide you with deep insights into the opportunities and challenges of intercultural communication and collaboration.
CultureWaves emphasises the variety of methods applied. With decades of experience in designing and delivering customised training, CultureWaves has optimised its implementation methodology for your maximum benefit.
Our goal: top marks from the participants. Therefore, an evaluation and continuous optimisation of all training measures is a matter of course for us.
The CultureWaves trainer team has profound expertise through:
- Many years of professional experience
- Training qualification
- Multicultural background or multiple years spent in different countries
- Native or multilingual language
For the Intercultural Project Management Training CultureWaves uses latest video and graphic footage and gives you authentic insights into other cultures and realms of work.
Interactive training style
CultureWaves supports you to better understand other business mentalities, gain more security in the collaboration with colleagues and business partners from other cultures as well as broaden participant’s personal skill set through:
- Role plays
- Interactive group exercises
- Exchange of experiences in the international work context
- Individual exercises and personal reflection
- Personal feedback by trainer and peers
- Work on critical incidents or business cases in small groups
- Discussion and reflection
- Background information for a better understanding of the business
- mentality in other cultures
- Practical recommendations and tips for further self-paced learning
You might also be interested in:
- Presentation Training
- Intercultural Coaching
- Intercultural Management
- Leadership Development
- The International Profiler
With competence and experience at your disposal. We look forward to hearing from you!
Since 1999, CultureWaves delivers customised training for corporate customers all around the world.
Benefit from the quality of our training!